[OSM-talk] new logo

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Thu May 13 17:19:14 BST 2010

On May 13, 2010, at 10:12 AM, Gregory wrote:

> On 13 May 2010 16:46, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
> this could be a good SOTM talk too?
>
> +1
>
> But aren't we in the 'process' of changing the OSMF logo?
> I think it's really important the two logos both share elements. A lot of OSMF logo entries seemed to ignore the OSM logo and so lost support from me, but perhaps, possibly, we need to be looking at redesigning both logos TOGETHER.
>
> "the great project is misrepresented by a bloated and indistinct clipart"
> Erm, I think that's what your logo proposal does/is. It looks like a clipart just for 'map' and maybe 'marker'. The current logo is representing that it is not just about the map, but the data you see behind it (the 0s and 1s).

the basic criticism people tell me again and again of the logo, from those people using it in things like conference brochures and OSM promotional materials is that

a) it's 'too busy'
b) too many colours

b is more important to me, because it makes it hard for OSM to have a colour to brand against, as every colour is in the logo. Before you jump at me for suggesting that having one or a few colours is a good thing, please consult your nearest graphic designer, they teach them this on day 1 or something.

As for the OSMF logo change - several people have said they would handle the vote and then they didn't, so if you want to make it happen, just get in touch.

Or - we could just hold a vote at SOTM.

Yours &c.

Steve