[OSM-talk] new logo

Robert Martinez mail at mray.de
Thu May 13 17:25:54 BST 2010

On 05/13/2010 06:12 PM, Gregory wrote:

> On 13 May 2010 16:46, SteveC <steve at asklater.com
> <mailto:steve at asklater.com>> wrote:
>
>     this could be a good SOTM talk too?
>
> +1
>
> But aren't we in the 'process' of changing the OSMF logo?
> I think it's really important the two logos both share elements. A lot
> of OSMF logo entries seemed to ignore the OSM logo and so lost support
> from me, but perhaps, possibly, we need to be looking at redesigning
> both logos TOGETHER.

I noticed that over half a year ago, but then found out it was just
about the OpenStreetMap Foundation, not the project as a whole. So I
didn't contribute there.

> "the great project is misrepresented by a bloated and indistinct clipart"
> Erm, I think that's what your logo proposal does/is. It looks like a
> clipart just for 'map' and maybe 'marker'. The current logo is
> representing that it is not just about the map, but the data you see
> behind it (the 0s and 1s).

in my eyes that is a clipart:
http://images.clipartof.com/small/17470-Clipart-Picture-Of-A-Star-Mascot-Cartoon-Character-With-Open-Arms.jpg

and that is a logo:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/48/Mercedes-Benz_logo.svg

I think there is a vast difference. A logo does not need to tell
stories... inside itself.