[OSM-talk] Custom paper map templates

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at googlemail.com
Fri May 14 06:10:16 BST 2010

Sam,
It is probably worth a look at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_on_Paper if you haven't seen it.

MapOsMatic <http://www.maposmatic.org> produces very nice output with a
street index, but you can not alter the output from the default style.
 Townguide<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TownGuide>is similar but
adds selectable points of interest, but its output resolution
is not as high, so the maps do not look as nice.  However one of this year's
Google Summer of Code
projects<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2010/AcceptedProjects>is
looking at taking the best aspects of these projects to improve it and
add more features.

Regards

Graham

On 13 May 2010 22:53, Sam Vekemans <acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm just wondering who all is working on making custom map templates?
>
> Walking-papers.org are great, but is only 1 style.
> I'm making Oo Draw files that just have the page layout, and all the
> basic map info, (legend, scale, title, directory, copyright line,
> border. # markers)
>
> The Mapgen.pl is for getting the osm map details out into SVG.
> So the ideas is that Oo is simpler to use than Inkscape, where simple
> 'prntScrn' can be done, where the monitor resolution is greater or
> equal to the actual page size.
>
> The purpose is to be able to print out free maps and give to any place
> that will make it available.
>
> So im looking for/making templates for cyclists passing through town/
> walkers looking for tourist attractions / pub 'inspectors' looking for
> pubs.
> .... And many other templates, were its easy to move the legend around
> and draw arrows & add in custom place markers.
>
> Is there a wiki page that organizes this info around?
>
> Thanks,
> Sam
>

> --
> Twitter: @Acrosscanada