[OSM-talk] new logo

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Mon May 17 05:32:10 BST 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 1:47 PM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would expect from a new logo to be
>
> 1 individual and unique
> 2 meet all the technical and graphical requirements for a logo
> 3 tell a story / symbolize the idea of OSM
> 4 possibly maintain some continuity with the current logo
>
> the proposed design is working only for point 2 but has nothing to do with OSM.

Good points. Though personally, I believe 2 (technical/graphical) is
by far the most important, where that includes the requirement that it
"look good".

4 (continuity) is unnecessary, IMHO, and 1 (uniqueness) is usually not
a big issue. 3 (story-telling) can be very difficult - but please
remember that this shouldn't be interpreted literally - i.e.
"symbolizing the idea of OSM" does NOT mean that there HAS to be 1's
and 0's, AND a map, AND the idea of a community, AND the idea of
freedom, etc etc.

Look at the Nike logo. Or the ubuntu logo... both very simple, and
effective because they each try to capture only one single *feeling*
that somehow represents each company.

I really like Robert's contribution. But I guess I understand, now,
that some people think it falls short on story-telling. Perhaps that
is useful feedback, that designers can take away from this. I think
it's only a matter of time before someone proposes a design that nails
(at least) those four criteria simultaneously.