[OSM-talk] place=isolated_dwelling approved - adding to mapfeatures

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Fri May 21 09:37:58 BST 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Aun Johnsen <lists at gimnechiske.org> wrote:

> I took the freedom to remove the mark of "deprecated" on place=farm
> and wrote a page with an easy to understand (I hope) definition of
> what a farm can be different from isolated dwelling
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:place%3Dfarm

But that's even worst. It says now:
"A farm can be a part of a place"
Then simply, don't use the key 'place' but a subset of the
place=isolated_dwelling

I know how difficult it is to deprecate a tag. In OSM it is almost
impossible. That's why people are just piling up new tags without cleaning
up the previous similar ones.
I don't give more than 3 monthes until a hugh thread comes on this list
asking a clarification between the different "place" values.
For instance, I wish good luck to the guy who will update the page Key:place
and write:

place=farm
In some countries the official type of a residential area smaller than a
hamlet (Germany: Gehöft <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/de:Geh%C3%B6ft>).

place=isolated_dwelling
In some countries the official type of a residential area smaller than a
hamlet (Germany: nicht ein
Gehöft<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/de:Geh%C3%B6ft>).

It's really sad that we start mixing keys 'building' and 'place' just
because they have a locality name.

Pieren