[OSM-talk] Little religious man made objects : crosses and shrines

Christian Rogel christian.rogel at club-internet.fr
Sun May 23 20:55:28 BST 2010

Ulf Möller a écrit :
> You don't need voting for tags that are used several thousand times. In
> fact, both of them are already listed on the Map Features page.

OK, let's assume the tags were admitted by their using, but there remain
a few inconsistencies :

- the definitions of the shrines are too catholic centred

- all crosses are "historic". At large extent, it could be, but what for
recent cement crosses?

- all crosses are "wayside". Summit crosses too? Difficult to believe.

- no clear definition of a shrine. By chance, the term can be extended
more over the germanic bildstocks, for whose it was created in OSM.
Someone raised the fact that memorial could be equivalent. But, memorial
should be related to civil historic facts.

- Shrines could be roofed fountains devoted to a saint, venerated tombs
(in islamic countries, too), mural monuments...

- no rendering : not unusual, but uneasy to decide as the definitions
are unprecise.
For example, we could have simple little crosses on the map for nude
crosses and a cross on a triangle or a rectangle for ornated crosses,
calvaries with sculptures, high celtic crosses and so on.
Ideas for synthetic representation of the shrines needed.

Christian