[OSM-talk] Navigation Debug Map Style Available

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon May 24 11:33:10 BST 2010

Hi,

Vincent Pottier wrote:
> I know it is a risk of infinite loop for bad tools but
> - the first version of the relation "definition" had no member, that is
> not very convienient
> - for tools keeping a list of definition, it is a way to remember to
> witch area they apply
> - maybe it is a way to build a "standard" def that several areas could
> subscribe (for example holidays period zones of French educational
> Academies that would apply to several departments)

My personal favourite would be to separate the concept of a country from
its geographic (and some other) properties.

Currently people will create a relation named "France" which has all the
border lines, or border sub-relations, as members, and tags like
name:de=Frankreich and all that.

But I'm tempted to throw in another level: Have one relation that
represents the country of France. Here you can enter all the names and
link to the Wikipedia article for France and so on. Something that
represents the city of Paris - whether that's a simple node or maybe a
relation too - cold be a member of the France relation with the role
"capital".

Then have another relation that models the borders of France, and make
this a member of the France relation (role="borders" or so).

Your relation, which has lots of routing/navigation parameters for
France, could also be a member of that same France relation
(role="highway_code" or something).

And so on. Relations galore! I know some people across the channel will
grumble but they'll get used to relations some time too.

Bye
Frederik