[OSM-talk] Proposal: winter roads

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 16:38:16 BST 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 14:18, Gleb Smirnoff <glebius at glebius.int.ru> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 02:50:22PM +0100, Dave F. wrote:
> D> >    the fact the road is a winter one, is an important thing that should be
> D> > marked on map.
> D> >
> D> >    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/surface:winter_road
> D>
> D> This type of tag is based on subjective opinions which is bad
> D> information to put in OSM.
>
> No. It is not based on subjective opinion. "Winter road" is an official
> status of a road in Russia. It is the way it is marked on other maps.
> The road is officially closed, when it starts to melt. And it is officially
> serviced during winter.
>
> Please refer to wikipedia article. "Winter road" is not a subjective opinion.

There have been discussions on and off about seasonal roads / opening
times. See e.g.:

    http://www.mail-archive.com/talk@openstreetmap.org/msg11274.html

There are more like that, but I couldn't find any with a quick search.

Anyway, since it's an official Winter road I recommend just tagging it
as:

    XYZ:winter_road = yes

Wher XYZ is the acronym or name of the Russian classification
agency.

But we probably want some sort of genaral scheme in the long term,
e.g. in some countries there aren't "winter roads" but rather just
roads with different degrees of guaranteed maintenance. Some roads
might e.g. be plowed once a day in the winter, and others once a week.