[OSM-talk] Proposal: winter roads

Daniel Herding DHerding at gmx.de
Fri Oct 8 16:44:13 BST 2010

Am 08.10.2010 13:30, schrieb Gleb Smirnoff:
 >    the fact the road is a winter one, is an important thing that
should be
 > marked on map.

There is an opposite concept in the Alps, where some mountain passes are
impassable during the winter months.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wintersperre (in German)

I translated the most relevant section for you:

== Highlighting winter closure on maps ==
In Switzerland you usually put the closure times next to the pass name
using Roman numerals (typically in red color). For example, XI-V next to
the Splügenpass means that the pass is presumably being closed from
November (XI) to May (V).

But of course it's not only roads that are closed during certain times
of the year. In Germany, public open air pools are only open in the
summer, while ice skating halls are only open in the winter. Ice cream
parlors are also closed in the winter months.

So instead of introducing a new tag for winter roads (and summer roads
...) I would suggest using existing tags such as date_on, date_off etc.
for highways (see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access ), and
opening_hours for sports centres, ice cream parlors etc. Furthermore,
you should use tags like surface=*, tracktype=* etc. on winter roads.

Daniel