[OSM-talk] Ongoing bulk uploads of GPS traces?

Sam Wilson sam at archives.org.au
Thu Oct 14 03:12:26 BST 2010

  On 2010-10-14 1:35 AM, Richard Weait wrote:

> Thank you for taking the initiative arrange this with your company.
> If you get the opportunity to change your data acquisition to one
> track point per second you'll find the traces much nicer for creating
> junctions, ramps, exits, fuel stations etc.

I'll look into the options, but I seem to remember hearing that we were
already on the highest frequency possible (with, I guess, our pricing plan).

> Are you really taking waypoints every 30 second or track points?  I've
> always worked with tracks / track points.

Ah, well, yes: I'm probably just displaying my ignorance.  ;-)  What's
the difference between a waypoint and a track point?

> This is typical for mapping new areas.  You'll make improvements with
> each pass.  Highway=road first, perhaps junctions as you add crossing
> traces next, a new amenity=fuel when you stop at a new place...
> Improved road classifications as driver observations and memory allow.

I should make one point clear: I'm not actually surveying these places.
I sit in an office in Perth, and don't really know the country through
which the vehicles travel.  I'll just be making the best of the GPS
tracks and Yahoo imagery. Obviously it'd be better to have people who
actually *know* the country editing the map, but I don't think that's
going to happen any time soon!

And thank you everyone for your support!  I'm excited about being able
to contribute to the map like this.  Perhaps I should organise an
*armchair* mapping party to help trace the roads; anyone here in WA?!

- Sam.