[OSM-talk] Response to A critique of OpenStreetMap

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 11:20:56 BST 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 14:07:56 +0200, Milo van der Linden wrote:
>
> > "Making the perfectly rendered map available to the world" is *not* a
> > mission goal for the OSMF. The OSMF is primarily responsible for
> > maintaining the database and the services related to it.
>
> Well then OSMF should change their mission to include nice representation
> of data also, not to compete with commercial companies just to make
> defalut map not suck would be nice ;).

Note that Justin did not refer to OSMF. Milo brought it up. I thought Justin
was addressing the community (a loose association of thousands of
volunteers).

OSMF has a duty to entice or motivate people to improve the map. That will
be easier when the map is pretty. So making a pretty map is a means to an
end.

I think however that the rendering is pretty enough and that there are a lot
of other things that are more important. Perform a simple test: Take someone
with a reasonable computer background and ask them to plan their next
journey with OSM. Will they be able to locate the places on the map ?
Routing ?? After completing the journey, will they be able to register on
our site and make the corrections they identified ? How long does it all
take ? People value their own time.

The good news is that there are a lot of improvements in testing right now.