[OSM-talk] Ongoing bulk uploads of GPS traces?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sat Oct 16 03:01:47 BST 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 9:51 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> But really: is this worthwhile?  Will my company benefit?  Will OSM benefit?

> I'd also double check that there aren't privacy concerns - gpx traces
> contain time information - is your company happy releasing that? Would
> it compromise them? Do the drivers get a say?

Good point.  If privacy or business practices are a concern, you might
munge the timestamps a bit.  IIRC, OSM requires timestamps and will
ignore files without them.  Also IIRC you can use gpsbabel to set the
timestamps in your file to one second gaps beginning at unix epoch, so
that would give your vehicles outrageous speeds during 1970.

Also you can choose the privacy settings for your traces to prevent
sharing the timestamps.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Visibility_of_GPS_traces