[OSM-talk] Code of Conduct: civil discussion, lists etc.

Al Haraka alharaka at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 10:08:44 BST 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 7:36 PM, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> In the long run they tend to do more harm than good.
>
> Hi, can you give an example of this? I'm at a loss to understand how
> asking people to follow simple rules like "be collaborative" and "be
> considerate" could end up being harmful?

I think this is a very good point.  If such a policy exists, it should
be specific about what is disruptive, and how disruptions will be
dealt with *transparently*.  I think identifying positive behavior
like this is not very productive and can be limiting.  I would like to
see something that says: "This is what we do not tolerate (just like a
lot of web forums), and this is how we will deal with it.  Other than,
do exactly what you want and have a good time while you're at it."  I
will not lie.  I have not seen the Ubuntu Code of Conduct or similar
initiatives mentioned before.  However, I think we should keep it
plain and simple and remove some caustic behavior that seems to be
returning to the list after a hiatus.  Collaboration and consideration
is going on without the code, and will probably continue, even
improve, by isolating bad behaviors.