[OSM-talk] Code of Conduct: civil discussion, lists etc.

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 13:15:27 BST 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at googlemail.com> wrote:
> The german Wikipedia has so much "please do this", "please read that" ,
> "please follow ...", ... that it turns out to be no more fun working there.
> I've almost stopped it for exact this reason.

And the English Wikipedia doesn't. The rules for behaviour are quite
simple, and easily followed, and it's all the more productive for it.
What's your point?

> It's not the "be collaborative" aspect I'm worrying about. It's the
> "otherwise we'll ban you" - without any transparency.

Ok, you made a few assumptions. No one even mentioned how (or if)
these standards would be enforced.

> In the german ML we had some cases where a few people publicly and privately
> asked the "problematic persons" nicely: "please reconsider your behaviour".
> It worked remarkably well.

That's a good model to follow. And it works even better with a clear
code of conduct.

Steve