[OSM-talk] Code of Conduct: civil discussion, lists etc.

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 16 13:55:05 BST 2010

Am 16.10.2010 14:15, schrieb Steve Bennett:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Ulf Lamping<ulf.lamping at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> The german Wikipedia has so much "please do this", "please read that" ,
>> "please follow ...", ... that it turns out to be no more fun working there.
>> I've almost stopped it for exact this reason.
>
> And the English Wikipedia doesn't. The rules for behaviour are quite
> simple, and easily followed, and it's all the more productive for it.

Yes, its very productive to get sooo much good intended advise that I've
completely lost interest. Very productive indeed.

>> It's not the "be collaborative" aspect I'm worrying about. It's the
>> "otherwise we'll ban you" - without any transparency.
>
> Ok, you made a few assumptions. No one even mentioned how (or if)
> these standards would be enforced.

Hmmm, you obviously did not read the Violations_and_Enforcement section
of the wiki page :-(

>> In the german ML we had some cases where a few people publicly and privately
>> asked the "problematic persons" nicely: "please reconsider your behaviour".
>> It worked remarkably well.
>
> That's a good model to follow. And it works even better with a clear
> code of conduct.

No, that's the point: It works even better *without* a written code of
conduct.

Regards, ULFL