[OSM-talk] [Tagging] How can the US get its stuff together? (was Re: Response to A critique of OpenStreetMap)

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sat Oct 16 14:46:44 BST 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Phil! Gold <phil_g at pobox.com> wrote:
> * Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> [2010-10-14 10:47 -0700]:
>> I think you could largely sum up his criticisms in two broad headings:
>>
>>    1. US OSM contributors need to get their shit together
>>    2. European maps don't look like American ones
>
> I'm trying to see what sort of consensus exists on some of the issues from
> 41 latitude's post.  I've sent an email to the talk-us list[0] asking for
> feedback and discussion.  I encourage anyone who's interested, particulary
> people who map in the US, to contribute to the discussion on that list.
>
>  [0]: http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2010-October/004361.html

The North American interest in highway signs may be difficult to
understand around the world.  If I remember correctly one of our
Euro-colleagues referred to highway shields as looking "a bit naff".
I think that means "good" though.

So, highways and road culture play a large role in the life of many
North Americans, there are even songs that we know like Route 66, and
Highway 61 that show affection for specific roads.  There are others.
Many others.  I was surprised to find this list of road songs on the
official US Federal Highway Administration web site.  That may help to
define the scope of the interest (problem) for our friends who don't
see the attraction of highway shields.  Even the humorless official
bodies in North America like a good road song.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/roadsong.cfm