[OSM-talk] Proposal for additional Mapnik power=tower icons

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Sun Oct 17 17:27:15 BST 2010

* John Goodman <jg1 at qlam.com> [2010-10-17 11:54 -0400]:
> I propose using a 5x5 icon at zoom levels 16 and 15, and a 3x3 icon
> at zoom level 14. Simulated examples of the proposed look is shown
> here:
>
> http://www.qlam.com/power_tower_proposal.png

I think that's definitely an improvement.  It feels more like zooming in
on the features, and it both deemphasises the towers at lower zoom levels
and better represents multiple towers in close proximity.  (I've mapped a
lot of places where multiple lines run in parallel with matching sets of
towers, but the display at lower zoom levels looks very ragged because of
the avoidance of overlapping symbols.)

--- --
HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This Product Contains Minute Electrically
Charged Particles Moving at Velocities in Excess of Five Hundred Million
Miles Per Hour.
                       -- Journal of Irreproducable Results, v36 #1