[OSM-talk] Amenity key

Sean Horgan seanhorgan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 22:29:43 BST 2010

Hello everyone!

>From searching through the tagging mailing list archives, the Amenity key
has its share of supporters and detractors and the topic seems to frequently
rear its head.  I can see both sides and like many of the tagging issues, it
comes down to semantics.  I think a lot of the contention results from the
definition in the OSM wiki, which sounds weak:

   - This is the primary tag for useful and important facilities for
   visitors and residents: toilets, telephones, banks, pharmacies (to buy
   medicines), schools ...

I think that the "..." at the end speaks to the vagueness.  Where possible,
I like to see the OSM definitions reference popular dictionaries like Oxford
(http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_us1221361#m_en_us1221361):

   - a desirable or useful feature or facility of a building or place

and wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amenity):

   - any tangible or intangible benefits of a property

The definition of such a tag/key that is so common the database (3+%
according to taginfo: http://taginfo.openstreetmap.de/keys/amenity), needs
more than a single line definition.

How do people feel about a change to the definition of the amenity key in
the wiki?

--
Sean