[OSM-talk] Countries that have NOT had any imports?

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 02:45:21 BST 2010

Yeah the physical spread of people out here in the middle part of the
country is pretty sparse and I think a lot of people don't quite get
that. There is a good chunk of Kansas where the population density is
5 people per square mile or less. And those 5 people have absolutely
no use for maps because they have lived there their whole lives and
know how to get from the farm to the fields and into town for church
on Sunday morning. So these areas would have *NEVER* made it into OSM
via local mappers. Ever. The best you could hope for would be armchair
mappers tracing imagery with names perhaps taken from KDOT maps. And
at that point, what's the difference between that and the TIGER
import?

So for all the problems with TIGER (mostly duplication/non-routability
at county borders and low accuracy) I think it was The Right Thing to
do, at least for this part of the country.

Toby