[OSM-talk] Okay, this is just cool (Lockport, NY)

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Sun Apr 3 18:47:47 BST 2011

On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 12:03 +0200, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:

>         The Google StreetView database isn't in Europe, it doesn't
>         have anyspecial conditions attached to its use,
>
> it has. At least if there aren't for Streetview in particular, the
> ones of Googlemaps in general do apply.

How do you assume that?  Do the terms for google maps also apply to
google news and google images too?  Google street-view is a different
product to google maps, it is a product they own and have created.

Google maps contains data that Google has licenced from other sources
(teleatlas, geoeye, europa, etc).  This map data, Google cannot
relicence.

Google street-view is a google product, created by google, which they
own 100% of the rights to.  The terms of use of both these products may
be similar, but given that the map data is covered under many different
terms, I doubt that all those restrictions have been placed on
street-view.

Based on andrzej's email correspondence, where it was pointed out that
the relevant point in ToS is in regards to 'mass downloads or bulk feeds
of any content', I assume this means that we cant automate the process
from googles resources (such as the bing street tracer), but that
individual use is fine ('checking the odd street name is okay').

>From reading andrzej's email it seems as though Google would be happy to
help out, but they believe OSM is complete and up-to-date in the areas
they have coverage.

David