[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap License Change Phase 3 Pre-Announcement

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 23:16:31 BST 2011

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Ed,
>
> On 04/16/2011 06:58 PM, Ed Avis wrote:
>>
>> Since the situation is so serious, there should surely be plenty of
>> examples
>> by now.
>
> It only takes *one* example to take all our data and feed it into some
> proprietary giant's database. Would you prefer to wait? Or even: If you were
> a member of the OSMF board entrusted with our data's safe keeping, would you
> prefer to wait? And then, when users complain, you'd say: "Oh well, lawyers
> told me back in 2008 that this would happen but I figured I'd rather not
> upset the apple cart"?

Show us just one example then please.

We've been waiting for this predicted catastrophe for several years
now.  It hasn't happened.  The only thing that has happened so far is
that the license change process has been so protracted that it has
damaged OSM much more than any imagined threat could possibly have
done.

Wake up Frederik.