[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap License Change Phase 3 Pre-Announcement

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Mon Apr 18 09:24:30 BST 2011

>It's everyone else who we have to worry about. In the last couple of months,
>I've personally noticed a national railway company, a charity with a
>turnover of >£100m, a vast firm of couriers, a magazine publisher, a book
>publisher, all infringing our requirements/requests for attribution and
>share-alike. (I've spotted these by chance: I don't go out there looking for
>this stuff.) Deliberate? In some cases, definitely. You wouldn't put an
>entirely fictitious credit to another organisation if you were just innocent
>of the niceties.

TBH I actually feel flattered when an external organisation uses our maps. At Mottisfont and Dunbridge station, Hants, there's a map which I think could be an OSM map - reason being it shows a permissive path not on Ordnance Survey maps. On the other hand it could be just drawn by a 'local'. It would be *nice* for them to attribute, but I do think it is rather nice to see our maps being used in the real world in any case.

Nick