[OSM-talk] Combined bicycle & footway

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 11:28:52 BST 2011

2011/8/23 Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 1:10 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can we get some feedback from different countries whether walking is
>> permitted on cycleways? At least in Germany and Italy it is
>> (officially) forbidden.
>
> There are extremely few where there is not a footway alongside, even in Germany.

+1, in Germany or Italy you will hardly find any place where a
pedestrian can't pass but a cyclist can. There will be either a
combined or segregated foot/cycleway instead of a bicycles only
cycleway. On the contrary there are much more places where pedestrians
get precedence over cyclists (e.g. narrow spots will most probably get
something like "cyclists dismount!")

Cheers,
Martin