[OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] Membership applications from Skobbler employees

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 20:34:28 BST 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 7:40 PM, Jim Brown <jim at cloudmade.com> wrote:

> Sure...  They were passionate prior to that of course.  Look at the
> evolution of the kyiv map over time.  It's also really telling that so many
> have left Cloudmade and still are part of the community,  these are
> individual mappers your are talking about.  People who give a damn about
> OSM,
>
> They just started talking and asking about getting into OSMF, which they
> needed help doing as you probably recall I think.  It used to be much harder
> to join.  So we decided to help, and so they joined.

The thing you need to explain is the timing.  Why was there a mass signup
just before the end of the voting period?  Why did you decide to help them
at that moment?

> I'm doubly surprised that you still think that was some evil plan.  Nothing
> particularly evil came from it as I recall.

Who is making an accusation that it was an evil plan?

What I said was "My recollection was that they all got passionate about OSM
on the same day, just one day before the close of email voting for that
year's election."

Why do you feel the need to be defensive?

> But if you do still think there was bad intent, it is obviously pointless
> to try and change your mind.  I'm just glad most of the community seems to
> be over it.

It was never publicly disclosed to the community.

The OSMF had an obligation, under the UK data protection laws, to preserve
the confidentiality of personal information.  It would have been a breach of
confidence to make it public at the time.

I can only ask you about it now because you raised the subject here yourself
just now.  As Gert [1] mentioned, it was inappropriate for Henk to have
publicly announced that Skobbler were apparently doing the same thing this
year.

So, could you please explain the timing of this co-ordinated signup by
CloudMade employees and associates?

80n

[1]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2011-August/001145.html