[OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] Membership applications from Skobbler employees

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 10:47:03 BST 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Barnett, Phillip <
PHILLIP.BARNETT at itn.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 1:13 AM, Barnett, Phillip <
> PHILLIP.BARNETT at itn.co.uk> wrote:
>
>  Well, this is a sideshow to the main debate, but you are still not
> revealing personal data, merely a fact about some or all members of a group.
> You are clear to do this under the UK Data Protection Act. I can say '"Most
> of the voting population of the UK live in this country" and you can
> cross-refer to the UK electoral register, for names and addresses, but that
> doesn't mean I've released the personal details of 40 million people!
>
>  In this instance, Cloudmade were releasing personal data. But since
> they're not under UK law,  the fact that they released their own employees
> names and faces and email addresses is presumably between them, their
> employees, and the US government.
>
> The data point that we would have been revealing is that these people were
members of OSMF.  Membership of an organisation is personal information and
we did not want to leak that information in any form whatsoever.

Like you say, it's a sideshow.  We didn't reveal the facts at the time and I
believe that was the correct thing to do.  There's nothing irregular about a
co-ordinated signup from one company.  We verified that the people joining
were real individuals, not sockpuppets, and that was that.

What I am surprised about is that Jim Brown continues to insist that these
people signed up because they were passionate about OSM when the evidence
suggests it was a co-ordinated act probably for the purpose of block
voting.

Jim, there is nothing wrong with doing such a thing, and I'm puzzled why you
make some other excuse.

80n