[OSM-talk] Mapnik rendering labels for unrecognised tags

Ian Sergeant isergean at hih.com.au
Tue Aug 30 02:22:54 BST 2011

Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote on 30/08/2011 11:14:32 AM:

> The same mechanism is used for Yahoo, Bing etc coverage. Yes, it's
> debatable whether meta-objects should be stored in the OSM database,
> but that debate would also extend to meta-tags (note=*, fixme=*)

When I encounter these "meta" ways/nodes with a name tag, I always change
it to a note tag.  It is more aligned with a annotation than with a named
object.

More generally I do agree there should be a better place to store this
meta-layer info, or if not certainly a way to tag it so it can be ignored
by those only interested in the map features.

Ian.