[OSM-talk] Naming issues in kosovo

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 11 11:50:17 GMT 2011

Mike Dupont wrote:

> In the area of mitrovia which we have been discussing :
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/448562189 here he changed the
> main name to Cyrillic .

Administrative circumstances around the railways in northern Kosovo are a bit
difficult. The northern part up to Zvecan is (or at least was in 2009 when I
visited Kosovo) under Serbian railways rule. Mitrovicë is the first station
under Kosovo railways rule. Because of the Serbian railways controlling the
northern part, Kosovo railways has banned all rail travel between Mitrovicë and
Zvecan.

I have a picture of the station building at Zvecan. I also discintly remember
Serbian flags on the building. This was for all intents and purposes a Serbian
railway station. The picture below shows the cyrillic name first. Also note the
sign Zeleznice Srbije.
<http://www.maasluip.nl/trein/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1390>

It would be logical that the stations north of Zvecan (like Stanica Valač) would
show the same naming but I don't have a picture of that.
Mitrovicë is here <http://www.maasluip.nl/trein/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1357>
and it shows the name as Mitrovicë/Mitrovica.

I only travelled the railroad (and a small part between Zvecan and Mitrovicë by
bus), so I can not comment on roadsigns.

Regards,
Maarten