[OSM-talk] New tool in Potlatch 2 for areas that share a way

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 11:02:43 GMT 2011

2011/2/1  <john at jfeldredge.com>:
> What about a grassy field that is being used for industrial storage?  For example, one small company here in Nashville has stacks of steel beams, several wheeled cranes, and the like stored on a grass-covered vacant lot next to their office and parking lot.  From the way the grass is grown up around the wheels, some of the equipment hasn't been moved in years.

according to our current scheme this would clearly be industrial, as
storage is incorporated. I agree that industrial comprises a lot of
different situations, so IMHO some subtagging could help.

I could imagine subtags to refine the industry classification for

- storage
- administration
- production
- smaller kinds of "industry" (in Germany we call them
"Gewerbegebiet", (don't know the English term) and they are not
considered "Industrie" at all, but in OSM they would fall into
industry, usually they are smaller firms and they don't necessarily do
mass production, due to their size and operating range they have less
infrastructure requirements (big industries usually have their own
railway-connection and are situated besides a freeway/airport))

and maybe more.

There should/could IMHO also be subtags to describe the sector, e.g.
automotive, energy, textiles, ...

cheers,
Martin