[OSM-talk] magical road detector to play with

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 20:51:56 GMT 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 9:40 PM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Nic Roets <nroets at gmail.com> wrote:
>> A little bit of care will be needed to suppress databases that may be
>> legally protected. But I can't see any problem if you extract 1
>> address per website.
>
> I can see a problem with that idea.
>
> "I only infringed a little bit" is still infringing.

My understanding is that extracting a single fact from a single source
is always legal (in the US, in the UK, everywhere). Journalists
extracts small amounts of facts from many individual sources all day
long and rarely get into trouble.

If we extract only 1 address per website, the vast majority of those
pages will be home pages and business websites. People who would
approve of what we are doing if it is brought to their attention. So
it's a symbiotic relationship.

Google's idea of "a little bit of care" is simply to honor robots.txt,
spider with an obvious user agent and adherence to a few web
standards. And there is a word for people with disapprove of this
practice: Copyright Troll.