[OSM-talk] magical road detector to play with

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 21:34:41 GMT 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Nic Roets <nroets at gmail.com> wrote:

>> "I only infringed a little bit" is still infringing.
>
> My understanding is that extracting a single fact from a single source
> is always legal (in the US, in the UK, everywhere).

Unfortunately in our case, the distinction between a single small fact
and systematically copying data from one database to another is very
thin, and we want to prevent both infringement and the appearance of
infringement.

> Journalists
> extracts small amounts of facts from many individual sources all day
> long and rarely get into trouble.

But those times when they do get in trouble, it's costly. For this
community, costly could hurt the project in a severe way.

> If we extract only 1 address per website, the vast majority of those
> pages will be home pages and business websites. People who would
> approve of what we are doing if it is brought to their attention. So
> it's a symbiotic relationship.

That's not quite the same as what I read in your original proposal.

> And there is a word for people with disapprove of this practice: Copyright
> Troll

Nic, Richard has a long history with this community of being one of
our ambassadors, in every sense of the world. He's a prolific mapper,
he's been a very effective community organizer, a project leader,
conference organizer, and former Cloudmade Ambassador.

Instead of going on the attack, give what he's saying a listen. Even
if you don't agree, being openly hostile to someone with such a long
history with the project doesn't make your any stronger.

- Serge