[OSM-talk] [Tagging] UK, Cardiff and Edinburgh, change capital=yes to capital=4

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 05:13:18 GMT 2011

I don't think that numeric values of admin_level > 2 was intended to
be at roughly the same level of "importance" or "prominence" across
countries. Individual countries are free to specify how their
admin_level values correspond to their admin units. Otherwise, a
building in the Vatican City (not that they're actually tagged with
admin_levels) would be considered on the same level as Wales and
Scotland.

Then again, the style rules apply admin_level styles uniformly across
the whole world so there may be merit in discussing these things. On
the other hand, Mapnik and T at H are not definitive renderings and
people are free to create alternate renderings if they choose to do
so.