[OSM-talk] Wiki editing (was Re: (magical?) road detector)

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Feb 7 14:17:29 GMT 2011

Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>
> wrote:
> >We wouldn't tolerate anything so disconnected from reality on the map,
> Yes, we'd fix it.

Up to a point.

We have scarce resources. We don't have enough mappers and we _certainly_
don't have enough developers.

It is thus incumbent on us all not to make more work for other people. We
should try and solve problems, not create them. If, for example, I create a
new feature in P2 that has the side-effect of bringing down the server
through, I dunno, overuse of relation/<id>/full or something, then TomH will
have to spend a whole load of time either fixing the server or, at the
least, rolling back the P2 deployment. In that event, no matter how awesome
the new feature might be, I have caused work for already hard-pressed people
and I shouldn't have done it.

The wikibox stuff is a neat idea and it'd be great if it could be done
right. But as originally posted, it was actively misleading in at least
three regards, and we'd already seen someone on the lists who had been
misled. At 11pm on a Sunday evening my first response to that is "bin it",
not "oh, what I really wanted to do before going to bed was learn some new
MediaWiki syntax". ;)

cheers
Richard