[OSM-talk] Boundary rendering bug

Lennard ldp at xs4all.nl
Thu Feb 10 12:21:58 GMT 2011

> Why would this be needed? I don't see anything in the wiki that says
> boundary relations are treated differently than multipolygons. If you tag
> them twice (way and relation) your just going to render an extra
> overlapping way. You are definitely not supposed to duplicate tags on the
> outer ways of multipolygons (anymore).

Right, so by stopping the rendering of boundary lines based on the
relations, that rendering issue is gone. Osmarender has never done any
differently. The relations are not useless. Their name, for instance, is
very useful. So is their admin_level, to decide when, where, and how to
show that name.

That doesn't mean tagged ways are useless and their tags stripped. They do
have a place in the scheme of things.

> I will give you that I see where the wiki says it, that doesn't make it
> right in a technical sense though ;).

Many things in OSM don't exactly make technical sense, yet we still use
them. :)

>> Right, so why even bother with type=boundary when type=multipolygon will
>> do fine? :)
> I do believe this came up on the talk page at some point :). type=boundary
> has some more roles (that nothing supports yet, but they're a nice idea).
> I don't know of anything that doesn't treat them as synonyms.

Oh, the discussion has been going on and off for years now.

--
Lennard