[OSM-talk] Fwd: Fwd: Re: collateral damage (was: What the licensechangeis going to do to the map)

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Feb 10 14:28:41 GMT 2011

On 10/02/11 14:16, john at jfeldredge.com wrote:

> Since the OSM changes are stored in a database, if the database log stores records of changes, normal procedures for rolling back changes would have included rolling back the deletions.  So, either someone used the database rollback but didn't select the full range of actions to be rolled back; or else, someone manually deleted the nodes instead of using the built-in rollback action.

I know of no database with any sane way to go pack and cherry pick a
series of ancient (up to several years old in this case) transactions
and then roll them back.

In this case I believe the edits go back before we moved to postgres
anyway so (a) the current database wouldn't have logs for all the
changes even if it never clean up old logs and (b) before that edits
were not done in database transactions anyway.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/