[OSM-talk] Bing coverage - more levels

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 00:07:11 GMT 2011

On 11 February 2011 00:00, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:

> In order to see if an area is "super high" (z20)  I have to be actually
> zoomed in on that area to zoom level 20. Therefore I can tell if it is
> hi-res from the Bing imagery.
>
> I'm really failing to see the purpose of this product.

I think the theory is that if you have already done the hard work of
zooming in, the next guy won't have to because he'll see the coloured
tiles at that location. So it's quite a valid bit of crowd-sourcing,
if we accept that the end result is worth having. The end result being
that the whole world appears in _some_ colour, even at very low zoom.

Dermot