[OSM-talk] Fwd: Re: collateral damage (was: What the license change is going to do to the map)

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Fri Feb 11 00:51:17 GMT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anthony" <osm at inbox.org>
To: "Jean-Marc Liotier" <jm at liotier.org>
Cc: <talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:35 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Fwd: Re: collateral damage (was: What the license
change is going to do to the map)

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Jean-Marc Liotier <jm at liotier.org> wrote:
>> Either you "traced from Google" or "none of the edits were infringing".
>> Those two assertions are mutually incompatible.
>
> No they aren't.

Anthony,
they might not be incompatible as far as you are concerned.

But they are incompatible as far as the OSM community is concerned.  That is
a fact. OSM has repeatedly said it does not want contents that are derived
from Google tracing.  It's very clear.  OSM is not asking you whether you
think you are allowed to trace from Google.  It is telling you that as a
community we don't want you to trace from Google.

Regards

David