[OSM-talk] Fwd: Re: collateral damage (was: What the license change is going to do to the map)

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Fri Feb 11 07:59:18 GMT 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 09:12 -0500, Mike N wrote:
> On 2/10/2011 9:01 AM, Anthony wrote:
> > Tracing aerials does not involve copying data.
>
>    Tracing from Google's imagery not only violates their terms of usage,
> their spokespeople say that it's explicitly not allowed.  There's
> nothing to prevent them from planting 'Easter eggs' in their imagery to
> catch violators.

This caught me out recently when I was comparing the differences between
google and OSM nearby.  I noticed a few small towns nearby that were
much bigger on google than on OSM, so I started looking for bing imagery
for the area, which was very poor (cant even pick the highway into the
town).  I then decided to compare google satellite to google map data,
and noticed more than half the roads in google data simply didnt exist,
and quite a lot that did exist were the wrong shape/length or had
incorrect junctions.

David