[OSM-talk] Underground / hovering buildings

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 23:12:34 GMT 2011

2011/2/14 Andrew Guertin <andrew.guertin at uvm.edu>:
> Second, an underground building. Connects to other buildings that are at
> ground level and have basements.

layer=-1 for the underground building. You could maybe also try covered=yes

> Third, a building with a courtyard, and a basement that also extends
> below the basement.

as we don't have elevation, the building would be drawn like all other
buildings with courtyard (multipolygon relation)

> Fourth a building that has been built into a cliff. At the top of the
> cliff, on top of the building, are roads and sidewalks and things.

simply draw the roads above the building and give them the layer tag
(or the building a negative layer). Mapnik is ignoring these layers
and will draw the roads in any case above the building, but for
topology they are needed.

> Fifth, a building on a hill, with entrances variously on the third,
> second, and first floor. One of the second floor entrances leads out
> onto a "green roof", which has grass planted on it and connects to the
> ground, but reaches out farther than the hill would naturally.

will be mapped like if the hill was flat. Simply draw entrances and
ways (building=entrance on a node). If several elements overlap, order
them with layers.

Cheers,
Martin