[OSM-talk] 12nm territorial borders - useful or rubbish?

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Tue Feb 15 10:34:22 GMT 2011

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:05:15 +0100
M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I know you are the man with the answer to every question, but you
> > have missed one
>

> yes, I was not sure if I understood that one right. Is the question if
> there can be certainty about the correctness of these lines, or is it
> whether the certainty is marked on the lines?
>
> Case 1 could be regarded as a pointless question if asked by someone
> who is a long time member of Openstreetmap. Of course you can be
> certain of nothing and everybody can modify everything. You can also
> not be certain that the original data was transformed and imported
> correctly.
that was not my question
that question sparked me into considering a fuller set of questions

> Case 2 would require a lot of research (basically for all of those
> lines plus all modifications), which I have not done.
>
> cheers,
> Martin

The questions are not absolute - they address areas which OSM may not
have yet considered, like considering the degree of certainty of
information.
You mentioned that the Italian nautical border was obtained from
statute, which sounds definitive, and then noted that the datum may
have needed correcting, because if in statute before 1984 WGS84 would
not have existed.