[OSM-talk] 12nm territorial borders - useful or rubbish?

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 13:09:37 GMT 2011

2011/2/15 Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net>:
> You mentioned that the Italian nautical border was obtained from
> statute, which sounds definitive, and then noted that the datum may
> have needed correcting, because if in statute before 1984 WGS84 would
> not have existed.

No, I mentioned that we were about to create the baseline from this
statute, and whilst still researching which was the system the
coordinates, someone else imported the boundaries from a different
official site (European Environment Agency, an agency of the European
Union):
http://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/data/maritime-boundaries

and AFAIK nobody then checked if those were corresponding to the
official Italian version (I guess everyone was asuming they were
correct, as they were "official").

cheers,
Martin