[OSM-talk] Why isn't any XAPI server available ?

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Fri Feb 18 21:47:25 GMT 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 16:59 +0000, Grant Slater wrote:

> The new java based XAPI is running and responding to test queries, but
> be warned it is still under active development. See:

Am I missing something here...?  People are complaining about how bogged
down and slow the current service is, so its being re-written in java?
Is there any language slower or more resource intensive than java?  If
the service isnt designed to be portable (it only runs on one system
currently, in the world), then who cares about java, why isnt it written
in optimized C or some other similarly lowish level language, rather
than java?

David