[OSM-talk] Why isn't any XAPI server available ?

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Fri Feb 18 23:02:26 GMT 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 23:33 +0100, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Am 18.02.2011 22:47, schrieb David Murn:

> > If the service isnt designed to be portable (it only runs on one system
> > currently, in the world), then who cares about java,
>
> What makes you think, that it only has to be running on one system in
> the future?

This is modern-day thinking.  Modern solutions are to simply throw more
money and hardware at a problem, where older techniques called for using
the same hardware but making the code faster.  That then means if you
improve the hardware you get a double-increase in performance.  The
problem these days, is that code is moving to less optimized forms,
because the newer hardware can handle it, where if it was written for
old hardware, it wouldnt be getting as bogged down now.

> > why isnt it written in optimized C or some other similarly lowish
> > level language, rather than java?
>
> Maybe the person actually spending the effort (instead of complaining
> here), is better in writing java than C. Maybe an implementation in java
> is (potentially) more secure compared to a plain C implementation.

Security is all well and good, but if the service is too slow to work
for anyone, what good is an ultra-secure codebase?

> If you'll come up with an implementation in C that is more portable,
> robust, faster, ... Fine! Then it will probably be used instead of the
> Java one.

Sounds like fun, Ive been busy writing tag stat programs and programs to
generate map quality information or work on some SVN apps.. If there
arent any programmers who know C who are interested in xapi, then that
sounds like a fun task.

I figured there'd be someone deeper in the coding group of the project,
with more coding knowledge of OSM than myself, who'd be able to do it,
hence why I save my work for the accessory apps.

> P.S: I've developed stuff in both ANSI-C and Java for several years ...

Doesnt it make sense then that if people are complaining about the
performance, it might be worth looking at changing?  Its not like every
user has to run the java code on their own system, it has to be no more
portable than the postgres server running alongside it.  While there may
be cases for using java in a web-app, the same way there are cases for
using flash, I dont think anyone would advocate re-writing xapi in
flash, even if that was the only language they knew.

David