[OSM-talk] Why isn't any XAPI server available ?

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 19 01:56:41 GMT 2011

Am 19.02.2011 00:02, schrieb David Murn:
> This is modern-day thinking.  Modern solutions are to simply throw more
> money and hardware at a problem, where older techniques called for using
> the same hardware but making the code faster.  That then means if you
> improve the hardware you get a double-increase in performance.  The
> problem these days, is that code is moving to less optimized forms,
> because the newer hardware can handle it, where if it was written for
> old hardware, it wouldnt be getting as bogged down now.

I remember the very same discussions about C vs. assembler more than 20
years ago. You may think about an XAPI implementation in assembler -
probably even faster than C ;-)

> Security is all well and good, but if the service is too slow to work
> for anyone, what good is an ultra-secure codebase?

Sorry, this kind of discussion is just pointless.

What good is a C codebase that crashes often, invites everyone to
install a rootkit and leaks memory as hell?

> Doesnt it make sense then that if people are complaining about the
> performance, it might be worth looking at changing?  Its not like every
> user has to run the java code on their own system, it has to be no more
> portable than the postgres server running alongside it.  While there may
> be cases for using java in a web-app, the same way there are cases for
> using flash, I dont think anyone would advocate re-writing xapi in
> flash, even if that was the only language they knew.

If someone would provide an XAPI implementation in flash today that just
works, it might even have a chance to replace the current implementation :-)

Regards, ULFL