[OSM-talk] Zero tolerance on imports

Sun Feb 20 00:03:54 GMT 2011

This is getting crazy.

Exhibit 1:
http://twitter.com/#!/maproomblog/status/39053538692698112

"Whoever imported CanVec in Aylmer, Quebec obliterated hours of work and
introduced hundreds of errors. #osm #openstreetmap #whybother"

Once again, some keyboard jockey has decided that his l337 import skills
are better than the knowledge and hours of work by a local mapper. The
offender appears to be user 'sammuell' by the look of it -
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/sammuell - though he hasn't posted
anything about his activities on the user page, the wiki, or indeed
anywhere.

This is killing OSM. We are not here to provide a free API to government
geodata that can be obtained trivially elsewhere. OSM is all about
"added value"; by deleting genuine surveyed data in favour of mindless
duplication of other, poorer quality datasets, we are _destroying_ value.

 From what I can tell (talk-ca postings etc.) 'sammuell' is a fairly
inexperienced OSMer who presumably thinks "this is how things are done".
It isn't. How do we stop this impression taking hold? How do we explain
that imports are _not_ welcome except as a last resort, and if you do
them, you _must_ follow a very, very rigorous set of guidelines?

cheers
Richard