[OSM-talk] Zero tolerance on imports

Mike N niceman at att.net
Sun Feb 20 01:16:10 GMT 2011

On 2/19/2011 8:04 PM, Andrew Errington wrote:
 > Imports are bad.  It's
 > bad because I discover errors and start to think 'How many more
errors must
 > there be?'.  It's mainly bad for two reasons.  Firstly, the data is
old, and
 > there has been a significant road-building program going on here for
a while.

  Imports aren't always bad.  Consider the equivalent case of one or
more mappers who worked heavily in your area 2 years ago.  You might
discover errors and lack of new roads and come to the same conclusion.

 > Secondly, things don't join up because the import processing didn't
process
 > road junctions properly, so routing doesn't work (until mappers go
around and
 > join them up).

   Agreed, things should be joined properly.  But for all its warts, the
import is much faster to get things started.   I drive around with
Skobbler enabled whenever possible to check for Goofball driving
instructions.  Goofball driving instructions are most often based in
Goofball map data, which is easily fixed.