[OSM-talk] Zero tolerance on imports

Mike N niceman at att.net
Sun Feb 20 02:38:16 GMT 2011

On 2/19/2011 8:48 PM, Andrew Errington wrote:
> Anyway, I like the idea of using imports as a 'scaffold' for building real
> objects.  Imported data could sit on a separate layer, much like GPS traces,
> then a mapper can either trace over the imported shapes, or select an
> imported object and 'promote' it to become a real object (then join it up to
> existing objects), or select an imported object and delete it, either because
> it already exists, or it's wrong, or it has served its purpose for tracing.
> Over time the import layer will fade away once all of its objects have been
> scrutinised.

   For this description, there is no need to even bring it into the map,
where it will just vegetate and serve no function until activated.   But
it would be better to create editor add-ins that work with the data as
described above; as the scaffold import data is reviewed, it is promoted
to the active map layer to be joined and uploaded.