[OSM-talk] Zero tolerance on imports

Daniel Sabo danielsabo at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 03:40:44 GMT 2011

On Feb 19, 2011, at 4:03 PM, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> From what I can tell (talk-ca postings etc.) 'sammuell' is a fairly inexperienced OSMer who presumably thinks "this is how things are done". It isn't. How do we stop this impression taking hold? How do we explain that imports are _not_ welcome except as a last resort, and if you do them, you _must_ follow a very, very rigorous set of guidelines?

Maybe you don't like it, but you are not the entire OSM community. Yes, in this case someone overwritten what I presume was good surveyed data with an import was stupid. But in general the fact that data was gathered by a government surveyor with tools an order of magnitude more accurate than ours does not, IMHO, make it less "worthy" of being in OSM.

From my limited experience working with a bunch of conflicting government shapefiles is a HUGE pain in the ass. Doing quality imports where we correct conflicts based on actual research (on the ground or otherwise) IS adding value.

- Daniel