[OSM-talk] Zero tolerance on imports

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Tue Feb 22 11:53:59 GMT 2011

Steve Coast <steve <at> asklater.com> writes:

>mapnik etc could render only objects with version 2 or higher. Not only
>does that block out imports, but now we're at the point of completing
>various areas, it will make people go back and check them.

Not a bad idea - or you could develop various quality heuristics: number of
different users who have edited the object, how many different sources have been
used (whether tagged explicitly as source=x or mentioned in the changeset) etc.

I think this extra-fussy Mapnik style should be an option, not the default:
a lot of mapping work is of good enough quality, even though only done as a
single pass (for example building shapes traced from Bing) and certainly better
than a blank canvas for most uses.  But that can be a choice the user makes.

Any quality (or 'kwalitee') metric cannot be perfect but it could help people
with different philosophies about imports or survey methods co-operate on the
same map.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>