[OSM-talk] Zero tolerance on imports

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 03:29:26 GMT 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Daniel Sabo <danielsabo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, if you can furnish me with an army of bed ridden mappers to trace all the highways in
>the United States I'd concede the point. But I don't think there are nearly enough people of
>your mindset to get the job done, and not having an OSM that's usable as a street map
>detracts from my enjoyment of mapping as much as having an imported road network
>detracts from yours.

I think it's clear that there are different types of people who enjoy
contributing for different reasons, and are "inspired" or otherwise by
different levels of completeness. I had a friend who enthusiastically
spent evenings riding around the city with a GPS, taking photos, in
order to map them. At that stage, the map was too incomplete to even
interest me.

Later, when aerial imagery became available and the map was reaching a
decent level of usefulness, I became more interested in doing tracing,
and a little surveying.

I would hypothesise that there many more people interested in (and
capablo of) filling in details in a fairly complete map, than in GPS
surveying for a blank map.  But that's just a hypothesis.

Steve