[OSM-talk] Zero tolerance on imports

Daniel Sabo danielsabo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 00:17:45 GMT 2011

On Feb 20, 2011, at 3:58 PM, David Murn wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-02-20 at 15:35 -0800, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>>
>> I find tracing endless residential subdivisions from aerials to be a chore
>> and no fun.
>
> I know many who disagree, fortunately.  Last year I was laid up in bed
> for around 3 months after surgery, just after hi-res aerial imagery
> became available for my area.  I spent many many hours tracing unmapped
> areas, or even tracing paths and other data of value.
>
> Some people like to get out on-the-ground and map, but from my own
> experience, if you want to contribute to the project you'll do it
> however you can, whether that is tracing, walking tracks or driving
> around streets.

Well, if you can furnish me with an army of bed ridden mappers to trace all the highways in the United States I'd concede the point. But I don't think there are nearly enough people of your mindset to get the job done, and not having an OSM that's usable as a street map detracts from my enjoyment of mapping as much as having an imported road network detracts from yours.

-Daniel